The ketogenic diet is considered a miracle cure for losing weight quickly. However, the one-sided diet not only has advantages, but also disadvantages. We have summarized for you what exactly is behind the ketogenic diet.
Ketogenic nutrition – that’s what the diet is all about
Like many other diets, the ketogenic diet is touted as a magic bullet for shedding pounds fast. Similar to other diets, visible success is achieved relatively quickly with the ketogenic diet. They don’t even have to go hungry.
- The ketogenic diet allows you to eat high-fat foods to your heart’s content. Carbohydrates and sugar, on the other hand, are largely taboo.
- If you consistently follow this type of diet for a few days, the body breaks down the stored carbohydrates and the metabolism begins to change. This state is called ketosis. You have the option Measure ketosis yourself.
- Since the body is no longer supplied with carbohydrates, it has to fall back on what is left. The organism concentrates on the existing fat reserves and converts the fatty acids into ketone bodies.
- The ketone bodies provide the organism with the energy that the body would otherwise receive from carbohydrates. The body diligently breaks down fat reserves and the kilos tumble.
- Basically, you can also achieve this result with other diets, and the following generally applies: An extremely one-sided diet, such as the ketogenic diet, is dangerous.
- Proponents of the ketogenic diet, on the other hand, swear by its safety. Serious illnesses, such as Diabetes Typ 2 or even cancer, can be defeated or at least alleviated with the help of the ketogenic diet.
- Before you blindly believe such promises, you should definitely talk to your doctor. As an expert, he can assess to what extent a ketogenic diet is suitable for you and whether this type of diet really makes sense for your illness and, if so, for how long.
- The concept of the ketogenic diet might sound familiar to you: the ketogenic diet is very oriented on the low-carb diet.
The ketogenic diet: you can eat it
Shortly before the holiday in the south, a few kilos less: with the ketogenic diet, that could succeed.
- It is important that your diet consists of at least 60 percent fat and 35 percent protein. The remaining five percent are carbohydrates. In plain language, this means that your diet consists mainly of animal products.
- The ketogenic diet is therefore restricted for vegetarians and not at all suitable for vegans.
- You can eat meat and animal products such as cheese, eggs, butter and cream on a ketogenic diet. Fatty fish and nuts, such as walnuts or hazelnuts, also fit into the ketogenic diet. Round off the menu with cooking oil such as rapeseed, olive or avocado oil.
- Carbohydrates are strictly forbidden. These include bread, potatoes, pasta, rice, sweets of all kinds, sweet drinks and alcohol.
- This menu will probably become too monotonous for you in the long run and that’s a good thing. Keeping the weight at a constant level over the long term only works with a balanced, healthy diet and exercise. With an extremely one-sided diet, your health will quickly suffer serious damage.