In this article, we’ve put together 3 ways to easily open coconut, how best to store fruit, and how long they can be stored in the refrigerator.
Breaking a coconut is often not that easy, so be careful. You can open the coconut with a hammer and Phillips screwdriver, a knife (completely without a hammer) or in the oven.
Open the coconut with a hammer
The most popular way to open a coconut requires a hammer and a Phillips screwdriver. Here’s how:
- To catch the water, you must first find three dots of coconut. They look like a face (eyes – eyes – mouth):
Quelle: ShadeDesign / shutterstock.com
- Depending on the hardness, you can simply pierce one of the holes with a screwdriver. If this does not work, take the hammer and break the screwdriver with the back of the hammer until its tip breaks.
- Repeat this process at the next coconut point.
- Pour the coconut water through the two holes in the bowl.
- Take the coconut and hit the coconut once horizontally with the pointed side of the hammer. This divides the coconut into 2 parts that still need to be separated.
- Using a certain amount of muscle force, separate the two halves.
- The pulp can now be separated.
Reading Tip: Can you warm up the spinach?
Open the coconut without a hammer – with a knife
If you don’t have a hammer at home, you’ll easily open the coconut with a large kitchen knife. Here’s how:
- If the coconut is fibrous, moisten the coconut first and then dry it.
- Take a bowl and, if you haven’t caught water yet, hold the coconut over it with your weaker hand.
- Now take the knife in the other hand and hit the coconut horizontally with your back (not the sharp side).
- Repeat around the coconut until you hear a crack.
- If it takes a little longer, you can help with a sharp side by piercing cracks that have already been made.
- Pull the coconut firmly with both hands. The coconut water should now be in a bowl or on both sides of the coconut.
- The pulp can then be shredded separately.
Also interesting: How to make honey liquid again
Open the coconut whole – in the oven
With the help of the oven, the coconut can also be easily opened without removing the shell. Here’s how:
- Preheat oven to 200 ° C and add coconut for 20 minutes.
- Remove the coconut. The shell should now be cracked.
- Use a screwdriver to remove the cover by inserting the nozzle under the cover and scraping the cover firmly.
- If you can no longer remove the cover, take a hammer and strike the cracks that have already formed with the pointed tip. Be careful not to squeeze too much to break the inside.
- Now take the screwdriver again and remove the rest of the housing.
- Then take the razor and remove the thin brown coconut shell.
- Cut the coconut the way you want. If you did not remove the coconut water first, keep in mind that it may erupt when cut.
Also read: Toast without toaster
How do you know when a coconut is ripe?
To find out if the coconut is mature enough, you need to shake it. If you hear and / or feel the liquid, it is optimally mature and can be consumed immediately. The more liquid the coconut, the fresher it is. On the other hand, if the fruit is completely dry, the degree of ripeness has already been exceeded and the coconut is no longer fit for consumption.
How to store coconut?
Coconut should be stored in a dry and cool place at home before consumption. Brown coconut lasts for about 3 weeks before it needs to be eaten. However, it is recommended to consume ripe coconut after a few days, as it loses more and more water during longer storage.
How long does an open coconut last?