Have you ever tried Bigos? The hearty stew with sauerkraut and various types of sausage and meat is considered a Polish national dish. Here’s the recipe.
In winter we just need something warm. This hearty stew is perfect! The great thing about bigos? The Polish cabbage stew tastes even better when warmed up the next day. So you can pre-cook the stew.
Bigos is also very popular because of its long shelf life. The stew will keep in the fridge for a good three days, but it also freezes wonderfully. This is practical, because with a good kilo of cabbage and the many different types of meat, the recipe is not for the small appetite!
Our tip: It is best to freeze your Bigos in portions. Then you can always heat up exactly as much as there are people to eat.
In the video: SOS for cooking breakdowns
Bigos: Polish stew recipe
We can’t get enough of this hearty stew! If you like, you can easily modify the recipe and add prunes for a sweet touch, for example. Dried mushrooms are also wonderful in the dish.
You need these ingredients for 5-6 servings:
- 500 g pork goulash
- 250 g Cabbage
- 75 g Speck
- 300 g sauerkraut
- 700 g white cabbage
- 1 onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 400 g diced tomatoes
- 700 ml beef broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 TL Wacholderbeere (buy here on amazon*)
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- Salt pepper
- oil for frying
- Optional: Bread to serve
1. First finely chop the onion and garlic. Dice the bacon and kabanossi. Crush the juniper berries in a mortar and drain the sauerkraut in a colander. Remove the outer leaves from the white cabbage and cut the rest into fine strips.
2. Fry the bacon in a pan over medium heat for approx. 3 min. Add the onion, garlic and juniper berries and sauté for a further 3 minutes. Then set aside.
3. Heat about 2 tablespoons of oil in a large saucepan and sauté the pork goulash until browned on all sides. Then add the white cabbage strips and fry for about 10 minutes. Then put the bacon and onion mixture in the pot and mix in the chopped tomatoes and sauerkraut. Add the bay leaves and paprika powder and pour in the beef broth. Simmer over medium heat for about 30 minutes.
4. After 30 minutes, add the finely chopped kabanossi. Then the Bigos another hour let simmer and season with salt and pepper.
5. Finally, remove the bay leaves and serve the stew with fresh bread. Enjoy your meal!
More hearty stews for cold days:
News, tips and trends… we have many exciting topics for you!
We hope you enjoy cooking it and would be happy if you give us feedback on this recipe on Facebook or Instagram!