The best time of the year has finally come! The Christmas markets are open again and we are already looking forward to the mulled wine and all the delicacies that will put us in the Christmas spirit. The roasted almonds, which are available in several flavors, are of course one of the most popular snacks. And since we love roasted almonds so much, we took the trouble to try out a few recipes and organize our own Christmas market. Thankfully, it all worked out, and now we want to share the best recipes and variations with you. It’s not as difficult as you might think.
Make roasted almonds yourself: you need everything for the sweet snack
If you also love crunchy almonds with a sweet coating, then you have probably wondered at least once how they are prepared and what exactly is in them. Because how nice would it be if you could make the sweet snack yourself at home? We have researched carefully and put everything important for the preparation of roasted almonds in one place.
The right ingredients
The secret of delicious roasted almonds lies in the ingredients. The nuts can be caramelized with or without the skin. The classic snack is prepared with the skin, although for a finer result we recommend using blanched, i.e. peeled, almonds. But it is purely a matter of taste.
Sugar is not just sugar, so you should also make the right choice here. Mix together white, brown and vanilla sugar for a tasty homemade morsel that’s every bit as good as the classic. This guarantees a crispy shell with the classic uneven shape. Traditionally, almonds and sugar are mixed in a ratio of 2:1.
It may not seem obvious, but salt is also an important ingredient in the preparation of roasted almonds. It enhances the flavors and balances the taste without leaving a salty aftertaste.
The above ingredients are enough for the preparation of classic almonds. But if you want to refine the snack a bit, you can add popular Christmas spices such as cinnamon, cardamom, star anise, gingerbread spice and others. Unusual combinations with Nutella, Amaretto or even chili powder are also possible to create a very special taste.
Oven, pan, microwave – where do you make the almonds at home?
At Christmas markets, the sweet almonds are prepared in copper cauldrons, but at home you can also use a pan, pot or baking sheet. It can also be prepared in the microwave, but we advise against it as it can make a big mess.
Prepare classic roasted almonds in the pan
Do you have a good non-stick pan? Then you can easily make roasted almonds yourself at home. Here’s the recipe!
- 300 g almonds, with skin
- 80ml of water
- 250 g granulated sugar (or mixed 125 g granulated and 125 g brown sugar)
- 1 1/2 TL Vanilleextrakt
- Cinnamon, cardamom or star anise as you like
- In a large saucepan, combine water, sugar, vanilla extract, and spices. Stir everything with a wooden spoon and heat the ingredients on the stovetop over medium-high heat. Stir constantly.
- When the mixture is boiling (and bubbling), add the almonds. Turn the heat down slightly and let the mixture simmer until the water evaporates and the sugar turns brown (about 6-8 minutes). Keep stirring the almonds.
- Once all the water has evaporated and the almonds are coated in the sugar mixture, remove the almonds from the pan and let cool on baking paper. Break up any almonds that are sticking together with a fork before cooling.
Note: Pay attention to the temperature of your stove top – if it is too hot, the sugar can not only turn brown but also burn in the pan.
Recipe for roasted almonds with cinnamon from the oven
Who doesn’t love the smell of cinnamon wafting out of the kitchen on a rainy afternoon? You will experience exactly that if you decide to try this recipe.
- 100 g light brown sugar
- 100 grams of granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 600 g almonds, whole
- 1 egg white
- 2 tsp water
- 2 TL Vanilleextrakt
- Preheat the oven to 120°C.
- Line a high-sided baking tray (approx. 45×35 cm) with baking paper or a silicone baking mat.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, caster sugar, cinnamon, and salt and set aside.
- Place the almonds in a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate…