Ingredients for about 12 pieces
for the yeast dough
375 grams of flour
20 grams of yeast
230 ml lukewarm milk
1 pinch of salt
50 g Butter
30 g Butter
750 grams of onions
125 g smoked bacon
200 g sour cream
salt and pepper
1. Make a smooth yeast dough from all the dough ingredients. Leave for an hour until it has doubled in volume.
2. In the meantime, peel the onions and cut or slice them into fine rings. Finely dice the smoked bacon.
3. Melt the butter in a pan, sauté the onions and bacon until translucent. Let cool down.
4. Knead the yeast dough briefly again and roll it out. Line a lightly greased springform pan or greased baking sheet.
5. Spread the onion mixture over the pastry base.
6. Mix the sour cream and eggs, season with salt, pepper and cumin and pour over the onions.
7. Bake in a preheated oven at 200°C for about 35-40 minutes.
Tip from the pro
The base of the onion cake is traditionally rather thin – if you like, you can also work with half the amount of dough. A full-bodied Riesling from Alsace goes well with the onion cake.